The majority of cars across the globe use a left-hand driving system. However, some nations, such as Japan, Australia, South Africa, Fiji, etc., utilize the right-hand driving system. If you are importing your vehicle from a region with LHD and you are an RHD driver, then there are some changes that you have to make for a smoother driving experience.
In this blog, we’ll be talking about the steps you need to know for converting a left-hand driving system to a right-hand one to make your driving experience more smooth, fast, and comfortable.
This guide is for experienced people who know about the mechanics of cars. We do not advise that people with no knowledge of cars covert the driving system themselves and disrupt its wiring and other settings.
The conversion of driving systems can have serious implications on your car if you’re not careful. Your car can lose its efficiency, usability, and be unsafe to drive if any of the components are compromised, so be sure to have this done by a professional.
If you’re in search of economical cars, then visit our website. We offer the best range of used cars for sale in Kenya, available with affordable and transparent processing.
How to Convert a Vehicle from LHD to RHD
Converting a driving system from left to right is not an easy one, and it is better to let a professional handle this. The process generally consists of repositioning the steering wheel, dashboard, rack, pinion, knob, and side mirrors.
- First of all, you have to dismantle the dashboard and then reposition it. After that, the wiring harness can be just inverted, so it doesn’t have to be removed or adjusted.
- After that, you have to replace the steering rack according to the right-hand driving system. This conversion can affect the airbag so look out for it. Once the steering rack is properly positioned, the pedals have to be assembled.
- If you have a manual car, then all three pedals need to be removed and reinstalled.
- Next is the positioning of brakes. Again, it is very important to let a trained professional do this because even the slightest mistake can put your life at risk.
- AC ducts, cable, wires, motors, and all the accessories at the firewall have to be aligned according to the right-hand driving system. Therefore, in order to reposition these accessories, you have to remove the engine first.
- If the doors of your car have controls installed in them, then you have to replace them as well.
- Lastly, replace the wiper mechanism and the motor.
If your car is completely ruined after the conversion, then you can head to our website and buy used cars for sale in Kenya.
Things You Should Be Aware Of Before the Conversion
Before you start converting the driving systems of your car, it is important to do some inspections.
- First and foremost, you have to ensure that the dashboard you will use for the replacement is available in your local market, and you do not have to import it.
- Your vehicle can face a very serious implication on its balance and the alignment of wheels if you use the previous driving system’s dashboard and steering for the conversion.
- Pay keen attention to rewiring and panel settings, as they are the most technical aspect of the conversion.
- Most modern cars have electronic systems, which is why the connections of the car can be compromised if not done carefully.
- The conversion of the driving system includes the replacement of the brake and steering system, which can seriously affect the safety of the vehicle as the steering can disengage and lose control during motion.
- Many components can lose their efficiency after the conversion. As a result, there is a higher chance that a component can be unable to regain its original productivity and efficiency and fail to operate under high load. For example, steering can lose its power assistance.
If you are a practiced technician or mechanic well-versed with the car’s minute details, then you can give the conversion a go. However, more often than not, people end up ruining their cars for good just because of this.
Vehicles are devoted a lot of time and effort while being manufactured, which is why a conversion done by a non-professional can destroy the car. Components of your vehicle will wear out, lose endurance and effectiveness.
Most cars lose onboard diagnostics-OBD after the conversion, which disrupts the electrical system of the engines. So if the driving system conversion of your car was a complete failure, then head to our website now and buy used cars for sale in Kenya.
What International Rules You Should Consider Before The Conversion?
- Is the company of the car internationally approved?
- The right-hand conversion is very complex as it includes the displacement of everything from the steering rack, brakes, and pedals to AC ducts, cable, wires, motors, and airbags.
- The conversion must offer the same or better safety than the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
- The parts utilized in the conversion must be the same or better than the OEM.
- The conversion should adhere to all driving, safety, and manufacturing compliance policies.
How Much Does Right Hand Driving System Conversion Cost?
Whether you are a car enthusiast who loves making and breaking their cars for fun or perhaps someone who has imported a vehicle with a left-hand driving system, the conversion is possible if your car allows the modifications.
The right-hand driving system conversion depends upon the toolkit you have or the automotive professional you are hiring. Some vehicles simply do not allow modification. And even if you were to consider the change, it would cost a hefty sum due to the time it would require.
Converting the driving system from left to right or vice versa is generally easier in older cars. However, for the latest car models, the cost ranges from $2000 to 15000 and higher. The reason behind the high prices is that newer cars lack space in the engine compartment, which makes the replacement more difficult.
While swapping your driving systems from left to right or vice versa, many components such as sensors, cable, wires, motors, control units have to be displaced. One of the things that can help you cut back on the costs, time, and efforts is getting a DIY conversion kit specifically designed for your car.
DIY driving system conversion kits have all the essential tools such as ratchet set, angle grinder, socket tools, drill, etc., especially for the year, make, and model of your car. However, to be on the safe side, make sure that all the equipment you may require for converting your vehicle from the left-hand driving system to a right-hand one is available locally.
Hopefully, this blog helped you understand the basics of driving system conversion, its cost, and its implications. If you are looking for used cars for sale in Kenya, then visit our website today and buy affordable cars.