It is possible to transfer an American Airlines ticket yourself. If you are planning on making changes or rebooking your AA flight, it is important that you understand how to do this in order to avoid extra fees and make the most of your travel experience.
Transfer a Ticket to Another Person
American Airlines usually will not allow you to transfer tickets booked in your name to another person. However, if you cancel your AA flight ticket (which will incur a fee of about $150 depending on the fare type), you will receive a credit, which you can use to book a new ticket in the name of the new passenger.
- In most situations, it is easiest to Change American Airlines Flight a full-fare ticket, which is often referred to as unrestricted or refundable. Call the airline at 918-254-3777 or go to refunds.aa.com before your flight departs.
- You will not be charged any fee for Recoverable(refundable) or unrestricted tickets may be the best way to save money, but you must pay attention to restrictions on these tickets.
- Unrecoverable (nonrefundable) or restricted tickets are difficult to transfer, change or cancel. These fares are often cheaper to purchase but can carry hefty change fees.
- You must call 918-254-3777 or go to refunds.aa.com to change your ticket. Expect to pay a fee of about $150 for domestic tickets; international flight tickets may cost up to $250 to change depending on fare type and class.
- If you want to change, cancel or transfer your AA ticket for a medical or family emergency or in other special circumstances, American Airlines may waive the change fee. It is best to call the airline and explain your situation if you need to change your AA ticket under these circumstances.
- The airline usually requires proof of your reason for changing your flight tickets, such as a death certificate or a note from your doctor stating that you are too ill to fly.
In the event of severe weather such as a hurricane, American Airlines will usually allow you to change or cancel your travel plans at no charge. Call the airline at 918-254-3777 or go to refunds.aa.com.
Talk to a real person and get a human at American Airlines:
- To contact AA Airlines, you can dial 1-800-433-7300 or (833) 213-8767(US & Canada), (800-633-3711 for Spanish assistance) if you want to speak with an agent
- If you require assistance with your current reservation-related inquiry, please press 1.
- content: If you would like to make a new reservation, press 2
- Afterward, press 3 to ask for assistance regarding luggage or check-in service for flights.
- Now you can press the 7 to reach an American Airlines representative who can help you directly.
American Airlines: Email Support
When you cannot contact customer service over a phone call, you can send an email to get assistance. Once you explain the problem and send it to the support team, the customer service representative sends you all details that will allow hassle-free access.
American Airlines by Chat or Social Media
When you are having an issue with American Airlines, you can go on the website or call their customer service team. You can speak to a live chat representative who will be able to help you with your problem. American Airlines Change Flight at the airport (at the self-service kiosk or ticket counter) or call AA Reservations. If you still want to try for a different flight, same-day standby lets you standby for an earlier American or American Eagle flight (with the same routine on your day of departure).
- American Airlines allows same-day flight change on domestic flights. For a $75 fee, you can get a confirmed seat on a different flight (known as a confirmed same-day flight change).
- If a seat is not available, you can opt for standby status instead (unconfirmed same-day flight change). If you are not allocated a seat on a standby flight, the $75 fee is refunded.
- American charges a whopping $200 change or cancellation fee on most paid fares (excluding full-fare refundable tickets) for domestic flights. This climbs as high as $750 per passenger for international flights. Same-day charges start at $75 for domestic and short-haul international flights in economy class.
You can request American Airlines standby or confirmed flight changes online, by phone, at an airport check-in kiosk, or at the ticket counter 24 hours prior to departure. Those traveling with American Airlines can change their AA reservations, but it incurs a service charge. They can call American Airlines Reservations Number to change their ticket at any time of day at the following numbers:
AA Same Day Flight Change Fee
- The standard cost for an SDFC “on flights between the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), Canada, and the Caribbean” is $75 per direction.
- Long-haul international flights are generally not eligible for a same-day flight change, but there’s one exception. If you’re flying between New York-JFK and London-Heathrow (LHR) — including itineraries with connecting flights inside the U.S. — you can make a SDFC for $150 per direction.
- American Airlines charges a $75 fee for a same-day confirmed change or a standby request. The fee for a confirmed change is waived for Executive Platinum members only, but the fee for a standby request is waived for a much larger group of travelers that includes all elite members and customers with full fare tickets.
American Airlines $75 standby / confirmed same-day flight change fee is waived for the following passengers:
- Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
- Customers who purchase Business or First-Class tickets
- Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
- Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
- American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, or AAdvantage Gold members
- Oneworld® Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
- Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or Oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent-flier status or fare type
- AAirpass members
- First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
- First, Business and Economy Class Anytime Awards
- Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare
Canceling an AA flight
- American Airlines customers have 24 hours after purchasing their ticket to cancel it for a full refund, provided they booked the ticket at least two days before departure.
- If the ticket was bought directly from American Airlines, request a refund online or contact American Airlines’ reservations desk, and the refund should be credited within a week.
- If it was purchased through a third party, customers have to call the third party to get refund details.
- Flights booked through American Airlines’ reservations service are considered nonrefundable, so customers can get a full refund on these tickets only within 24 hours of purchase. Otherwise, the only situations that entitle a nonrefundable ticket purchaser to a refund are:
- A schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more
- Death of a passenger or passenger’s traveling companion
- Military orders
- However, non-refundable ticket values can be applied toward future flights as long as:
- The new trip begins within one year of the original ticket’s issue date
- The customer canceled the original ticket before the first flight departed
How do I rebook your American Airlines canceled Flight?
When you’re ready to rebook your trip, you’ll need either:
- Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)
- Your ticket numbers
If you don’t know your Record Locator, you can find it in the confirmation email you received when you booked your trip. read more